Sunday, December 9, 2012

Westminster, London Christmas Eve 2011


Whilst in the UK I took the train down to London for the day on Christmas Eve. 

I felt like Richard Hannay,  the John Buchanon  character from the book "The 39 Steps" who returns to London after many years as a colonial expat.

It had been over 20 years since I had last been there, and a lot of things had changed. London, always a cultural and racial melting pot, was now like a giant UN meeting.  

The place seemed cleaner, more colourful and vibrant than I remembered, but perhaps that is just old memories playing tricks.  A lot of things were still the same though. London double decker buses, black taxis, Harrods, the underground.  

And as I do every time I visit, I marvelled at the white portland stone buildings, each one seemingly holding a place in history.  

No comments:

Post a Comment